[Arm-netbook] about Risc-V and Power,

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jan 4 00:25:18 GMT 2020

On 1/3/20, zap <zapper at disroot.org> wrote:
> Just to be clear, you cannot legally sell risc-v processors even if you
> remove the trademarks.

like any trademark, if you make no mention of the trademark, or any
claims of "compliance", you're probably ok.

from the time i worked on samba-tng, you can claim *compatibility*
with something that is a pun or the *inversion* of a trademark.
"arcfour-compatible" rather than "RC4 compliant".

etnaviv.

v-sirc.

if you say "v-sirc compatible" and you're ok.

> And, OpenPower can be made more secure and lightweight then Risc-V.

that's very difficult to say.  you start having to delve into what
"secure" means at both the architectural, ISA *and* design level.
"lightweight" is much easier to compare however would still take a
significant amount of time.