[Arm-netbook] Libre RISC-V -- I mean OpenPower M-Class GPU update

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:54:14 GMT 2020

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 00:13:16 +0800
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 2, 2020, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 12:28:03AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > IBM takes its responsibility as a world-leader extremely seriously,
> > > and they're providing an extremely sneaky royalty-free patent
> > > license for POWER ISA, which says, "you get free unrestricted use
> > > of these patents as long as you don't ever try to assert a patent -
> > > ever - against us, IBM".
> > >
> > > *that's* clever :)
> >
> > Aren't there similar terms in the GPL3?
> > Except of course you get to use the software instead of any patents?
>

> i believe so.  section 8 specifically mentions termination including
> patent grants.
>
> however section 11 itself is dreadfully unclear.
>
> l.

IANAL, but when I read the GPL3 I thought it was only patents relating
to the SW in question whereas the POWER ISA agreement was more along the
lines of "no suing for infringement ever".
As in, when you DL the GPL3 SW you can check if it infringes, if yes then
sue, if no then you can use it and be bound to the GPL3. If they change
the SW so that it infringes then you can sue (if you aren't using the
new version).

Sincerely,
David