[Arm-netbook] Libre RISC-V -- I mean OpenPower M-Class GPU update

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jan 1 22:09:38 GMT 2020

On 1/1/20, David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 23:02:51 +0000
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>> On 12/31/19, David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe I have not been clear, how does signing an agreement or joining
>> > UC "vet" people?
>> > I always thought that my code/schematics vetted me as a fool or a wise
>> > man.
>>
>> it's not that simple when it comes to collaboration where it really
>> matters if incompatibilty is hosed.
>>
> <snip>
>
> That's a really interesting reply. Do you mean that there is no way to
> pretest changes, say with an FPGA and only Silicon will prove the design?
> Or is there no ongoing testing? Or what?

no, it's that if the Trademark Holder refuses to respect Trademark
Law, failing repeatedly to respond to reasonable and in-good-faith
requests to have taken into consideration the unique Libre-transparent
*business* circumstances that were never, in any way shape or form
envisaged by the Founders at the time of the creation of the
Membership Agreement - the one that every other *business* is
perfectly happy to sign because no other business that signed the
Agreement gives a flying fuck about transparency and trust for the
benefit *of end-users* (not shareholders) - then the *technical*
aspects you describe - testing, pretesting, silicon, FPAGs - all that
is absolutely and utterly irrelevant.

the collaboration that is in place, and which is otherwise
successfully taking place, is taking place behind *closed doors*,
where we, as Libre Businesses, are told, basically, "sign this
agreement which entirely compromises your business model, or go fuck
yourself".

by complete contrast...

the OpenPower Foundation's Director, Hugh Blemings, is someone who has
worked with Libre Developers (he himself is one) for over two, nearly
three decades.

*he* was the one that told *me* that the OpenPower Foundation Members
have created a Membership Agreement that is specifically designed to
allow Libre Businesses to be "happy" with its terms and conditions.