[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 Computing Devices Update: 500 Micro Desktop PCB Assemblies

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 27 06:21:03 GMT 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:52 PM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 16:56:25 +0000
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> >  not a snowball in hell's chance.  resin is too brittle, 3D printing
> > is far too inaccurate, and the plastic is extremely thin.  5 years ago
> > the ones we had stamped out for prototypes (laser-cutting i believe)
> > broke almost immediately.
> >

> What material did you laser cut? I would have thought that laser cut
> aluminum would be perfect.

ten prototypes of the mass-produced PCMCIA plastic surround from
Litkconn had holes laser-cut to make space for the micro-sd,
micro-hdmi and USB-OTG ports.

 the result was plastic under 1mm deep that had only around 0.5mm
height below e.g. the micro-sd card and it of course snapped
immediately.

 as a result we considered very thin metal sheet (thick foil in
effect) that could be stamped (or laser cut) and was effectively a
"metal sticker" that could go over the end and be bent round.
probably even by hand.