[Arm-netbook] Intel's at it again

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jun 9 23:04:53 BST 2019

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 11:00 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday 9. June 2019 22.38.55 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 10:10 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Reminds me of Olimex's SOM204. Must be three times better than EOMA68:
> > >
> > > https://www.olimex.com/Products/SOM204/
> >
> >  standards need to be properly designed, otherwise they're not standards.
>
> I think there's quite a bit of optional stuff in those 204 connections,

 it's dead, then.  anything that's made optional, you're screwed for
compatibility, right from the start.  how can you possibly make a
base-board and hope to have any chance of upgrading the SOM in the
future, if the future SOMs have "options" that are completely and
utterly missing, and yet are absolutely essential for the correct
functioning of the base-board??

 stupid.

> arguably making it a bit like a breakout board for SoCs. That might be helpful
> for some applications, but probably isn't what one might call "plug and play".

 EOMA200 was very carefully designed from lessons learned from the
standards that Intel has been involved in.  COMExpress, PC-104 and so
on.

 both of those are unnnbelievably well-designed standards.  PC-104 has
been incredibly successful: look at how long it's been around.  over
25 years?

l.