[Arm-netbook] Modular U-Boot - FOSDEM presentation

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Feb 5 12:08:15 GMT 2019

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, Jeffrey Sites <jas at jasites.com> wrote:

> I don't recall seeing a reference to this already, nor a resolution to the
> open question of how to enable U-Boot for different EOMA68 configurations,

Devicetree overlays, with a fixed dtb specification representing the pins
on EOMA68.  An I2C EEPROM contains the id which allows uboot to pick the
correct dtb overlay.

It was discussed years ago as dtb overlays were still in the conceptual
phase. Last time I checked nobody had thought about *disconnecting*
overlays. The assumption was, you plug in a braindead 96boards to a shield,
boot, and under no circumtances remove the shield.

They clearly forgot that even on a beagleboard or braindeaf 96board,
uswsusp can be installed.

>  so I figured it may be useful to someone to review the applicability of a
> talk given at the recent FOSDEM:
>
> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/porting_u_boot_to_a_modular_device/

Appreciated.

> I hope this is helpful to someone!