[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 Computing Devices Update: New Factory Equipment, New Grant Proposal

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Feb 3 22:36:53 GMT 2019

---

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 5:59 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Good to see another update:
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/new-factory-equipment-new-grant-proposal
>
> I hope Mike is bearing up in the face of his recent difficulties. With regard
> to your funding proposal [1], I see that you wish to revive the other computer
> cards,

 they were only paused because continuing to put R&D money into them
would mean that fulfilling the campaign promises would have been
jeapordised.

> Although things like the StereoPi have developers as their audience, and so it
> doesn't really bother people that bare boards and edge connectors are the
> basis of modularity, it would be nice to be able to pitch EOMA68 (and related
> profile) products for these kinds of things. But these kinds of campaigns do
> help to demonstrate the case for EOMA68 and modular computing.

 yes very much.

> Another thing that I noticed was in perusing the Dingoonity forums, where
> there is a fairly active forum about Ingenic-based handheld devices:
>
> https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/

 which reminds me, to contact the guy who was doing the hand-held
games console.  the last time i spoke to him, i learned that,
unfortunately, the person who had designed the case wanted to keep it
proprietary.

> Again, EOMA68 would be a good way of enabling products for this market. People
> seem to end up chasing discontinued products and settling for random imports,
> often being disappointed with some aspect of them or other, plus the software
> is not exactly responsibly produced, either.

 yes, basically, EOMA68 is about reducing the barriers.

 thanks paul.