[Arm-netbook] Oscilloscope or bust?

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 05:03:21 BST 2018

Pardon a top post, plz, I'm on my phone again...

Oscilloscopes are a great tool for either (a) analyzing analog waveforms,
if you know what you're doing, or (b) looking like the absolute incarnation
of technological tomfoolery, if you don't.

Mostly I fall into the second category. My scope is a secondhand,
pre-moonshot Tektronix 422. It weighs about as much as a good stout WW2
battleship and probably has just as much metal... it certainly has almost
as many controls, and the dizzying array of knob and levers and buttons
means I have virtually no idea how to work it. I do have the manual and a
lot of bad excuses, though!

...anyways...

These links may be of some use. The first couple are a little outdated, but
all should be serviceable...

https://hackaday.com/2016/01/27/a-tale-of-two-sub-100-oscilloscopes/

https://hackaday.com/2017/11/09/review-jye-tech-dso150-oscilloscope-kit/

https://hackaday.com/2017/11/18/ds212-oscilloscope-review-open-source-and-great-for-hacking/

...and, if you're "Robinson Crusoe on a Desert Island" desperate (note, I
wouldn't trust myself with this one!)...

https://hackaday.com/2017/04/06/hacking-a-vintage-tv-into-an-oscilloscope/

There are also dead-simple recipes out there (Forrest Mims, /et al/) for
o-scope builds using (literally) a few chips and a double-fistful of
LEDs... but those badly lack the sort of display resolution you need for
this.

HTH...

Chris