[Arm-netbook] Should we support libre.computer's efforts at promoting lima?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 17 09:04:54 BST 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM Adam Van Ymeren <adam at vany.ca> wrote:

> On October 17, 2018 4:43:29 PM GMT+09:00, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >USD $1m would fund the Libre RISC-V 3D GPU effort through to 100%
> >completion including quite likely actual test silicon in a smaller
> >geometry like 65 / 55nm (700mhz or so, which for a GPU would be damn
> >good).
> >
> >l.
>
> That would be a way better use of $1 million USD IMO.  Would much rather
> have an open GPU than constantly be playing catchup reversing proprietary GPUs.

 some people would say it's better for users to at least have
something.  others would say that after reverse-engineering is
completed, ODMs are likely (eventually) to actually distribute the
reverse-engineered drivers.

 ARM of course is quite likely to continue to release proprietary
drivers, with newer proprietary versions of MALI never being
compatible, thus always ensuring that end-users are left trapped.