[Arm-netbook] tricky conundrum for the upcoming libre-riscv soc crowdsupply page: image needed

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:57:37 GMT 2018

Sorry for getting back to you so quickly. :)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 23:16:38 +0000
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> ok so to start the new campaign, an image is needed. not a logo, an
> *image*.  something that "represents" a chip and its potential uses
> and usefulness in a real and concrete way.
>
> the problem is: this is a fabless semi-conductor design... there *is*
> no chip, there *is* nothing to put out there, and because it's just
> one component that goes *into* products, there *is* no frickin product
> either!  a confusing jumbled utterly boring montage of hypothetical
> products would be needed.
>
> even more of a conundrum: even putting up a picture of some BGA or QFP
> packaging isn't ok either, because depending on the final pincount,
> *AND* on large customer orders, the chip will be *custom packaged* and
> tailored to their needs (i.e. the same die will have far more
> interfaces added than there are actual pins, and the die re-packaged
> to suit the customer's needs, leaving many of the pads disconnected
> internally or connected internally to other dies).
>
> if you look at every single campaign there is a nice "image".  it's
> either the first frame of the video, or it's a really cool-looking
> shot of a PCB, or a 1in cubic robot:
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/william-weiler-engineering/skoobot
>
> logos are out, although not completely ruled out.

As you said, it's a cat and mouse game. But I created something
anyway. Take a photo of your face when you see it...
It has 2 advantages. 1: Every techy knows what it is. 2: Every techy
knows that you are going to create something similar because there is no
way on God's green earth it's going to look identical.

> if anyone would
> like to convert the attached to PNG (with a variant placing a circle
> behind the square) that would be really helpful.

The attached *is* a png. But I'm guessing you wanted an image from gimp...
The problem is that you never said what size you wanted it or what
color you wanted the circle...
So, I'm making up for that by using an svg (inkscape), and then outputting
two little images for your viewing pleasure.
You can use the original and blow it up to an arbitrary size.
Or customize it.

BTW: Did your daughter help draw it for you? It's a great opportunity for
dady time. :)

> so this is the challenge: come up with a suitable place-holder image.
See above.

I've been wanting to tell you of the 4 people who I think are supporting
you in an open GPU endeavor. In addition to myself and the Indian fellow
I was remembering that thinkpenguin supported your efforts once before
and would probably do so again:

On 04/23/2017 01:07 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> so that's when he [chris from thinkpenguin] contacted me,
> to sponsor the 15.6in libre laptop.

And I seem to remember the head of crowdsupply was interested in
sponsoring you for something, but I may be thinking of someone else.

Also, and this is pertinent, the reason I was able to contribute on such
short notice is because I was going through the political candidates and
got done early. You see, one of the guys running for CFO (Chief Financial
Officer), of FL is named Patronis.
Being a republican I expected a totally out of touch set of view points
but he said (this is not word for word), such things as, "We are using
a SW system that is not interpolatable with anyone
else's." Surprise!
"We currently have a bunch of 70 year olds running the system
and I am being advertised to by this vendor and that vendor and I'm
thinking that we will have to buy their labor force from outside the
state to run the new system!" Shock!
And, "The way to combat corruption is transparency. This is 2018! We have
the technology, we just have to flick the switch."
I think I passed out after hearing this level of intelligence from a
politician.
If you look him up I have to warn you, he was really hard to hear (16-bit
audio at 128K!).
If he gets elected he might be a good opensource advocate within the
government. But I am not planning to talk to him myself about it.

Sincerely,
David