[Arm-netbook] Urgent statement on Cryptocurrency ethics

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Mar 20 20:44:18 GMT 2018

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Jean Flamelle <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>         This is difficult to express so please bear patience. Able
>> manipulators of money do exploit the interest in cryptocurrency to
>> affect the prices thereof,
>
>  yep, i know. there's no way to regulate or prevent the blatant
> insider trading and pump-and-dump scams.  interestingly, mining is
> inviolate.

I've no idea why you think that -- it seems to me rather like saying
that farming poppies is automatically ethical, regardless of whether you
expect anyone to harvest the crop and perhaps sell it to people who
then profit and spend the resulting income on weapons, say.

Anyway, never mind that -- this seems timely:

  https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/20/child-abuse-imagery-bitcoin-blockchain-illegal-content

erm, oops!

Cheers, Phil.