[Arm-netbook] Testing: GPIO

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:52:46 GMT 2018

On Mar 1, 2018, at 20:31, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Richard Wilbur
> <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we did decide to roll a v1.8 micro-desktop board, it would afford
>> us the opportunity to bring two of the presently unconnected GPIO18-21
>> lines to the expansion header in place of VESA_SCL and VESA_SDA (which
>> are after all available on pins 15 and 12 of the VGA connector).  If
>> VESA_SCL and VESA_SDA are more useful on the expansion header then, by
>> all means, forget this suggestion.
>
> the reason i brought those out is just in case someone decided they
> wanted to use them as plain GPIO.

Having the most available GPIO pins sounds like a great goal for the micro-desktop.  But at the expense of a fully operational VGA interface when we have four more GPIO pins that we could choose from--seems like maybe we could take a better tradeoff?

>> The other option to accommodate all our GPIO goodness would be to
>> replace J5 (2x10 header) with a 2x11 or 2x12 header
>
> yep.

I would vote for a 2x11 header with the four other GPIO's connected and the VESA DDC lines not connected to the expansion header.  That only requires the expansion to extend in length by 10%.