[Arm-netbook] updates from eoma68-a20

zap calmstorm at posteo.de
Sun Jan 28 00:59:03 GMT 2018

On 01/27/2018 05:28 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 9:11 PM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Okay, but when I meant paying a little more, I meant what you would need
>> to do it for one person.
>  oh.  ok.  well, um... a _lot_.  as in, it would be a custom board,
> done by hand.  10 PCBs tend to cost about $2000 all-in, so $200 would
> not be unreasonable.
>
>  basically until you get to QTY 500 or above the setup and teardown
> costs are so high that companies are reluctant to do anything below
> 1,000 units.  i'm lucky that mike's factory is small enough that he'll
> consider it.

Hmm... I never realized it was that absurdly high of a price. I would do
it don't get me wrong if needed, but yeah...
>>  Aka on an invididual basis if need be...
>> request + money aka...
>>

>> If more money can be found however, everyone.  Though I dunno how much
>> you would need......
>   i really don't know.  RAM prices are so mad that suppliers are
> actually reluctant to find out, because (a) they actually CAN'T get
> hold of them - as in there AREN'T ANY AVAIALBLE or (b) those that are
> available are in such demand that they don't want to commit unless
> you're actually serious and have cash RIGHT now.
>
>  when i say "there aren't any available" i mean, "demand for apple
> products has gone so insane that the RAM foundries are so overwhelmed
> with APPLE's RAM orders that they haven't got TIME to manufacture
> anything else".
Hmm... Interesting.  That is insane.  so basically for 2gb of ram it
adds 200$ to the price tag or 100$...

I am just wondering because 1gb of ram would be how much you would have
if you didn't do this. Right? Well how much would that cost you?

Don't get me wrong, I will pay 200$ extra if need be, but yeah... I am
just curious.

Also, will the ram problem exist whenever shakti processors come out?