[Arm-netbook] updates from eoma68-a20

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jan 27 22:28:14 GMT 2018

---

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 9:11 PM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

> Okay, but when I meant paying a little more, I meant what you would need
> to do it for one person.

 oh.  ok.  well, um... a _lot_.  as in, it would be a custom board,
done by hand.  10 PCBs tend to cost about $2000 all-in, so $200 would
not be unreasonable.

 basically until you get to QTY 500 or above the setup and teardown
costs are so high that companies are reluctant to do anything below
1,000 units.  i'm lucky that mike's factory is small enough that he'll
consider it.

>  Aka on an invididual basis if need be...
> request + money aka...
>

> If more money can be found however, everyone.  Though I dunno how much
> you would need......

  i really don't know.  RAM prices are so mad that suppliers are
actually reluctant to find out, because (a) they actually CAN'T get
hold of them - as in there AREN'T ANY AVAIALBLE or (b) those that are
available are in such demand that they don't want to commit unless
you're actually serious and have cash RIGHT now.

 when i say "there aren't any available" i mean, "demand for apple
products has gone so insane that the RAM foundries are so overwhelmed
with APPLE's RAM orders that they haven't got TIME to manufacture
anything else".