[Arm-netbook] Libre RISC-V SoC

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 01:42:01 GMT 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

>  do you happen to know if the building blocks - the key high-cpu-load
> parts - of HEVC (aka H.265) _happen_ to be the same or near-identical
> to MPEG or H.264 and so on?

I don't know. But youtube is pushing vp9 and it's successor av1 now.
These are royalty free, while the situation with h.265 is a bit
unclear to me in regards to what products need royalties or not. One
thing I do know is that h.265 uses blocks of 64x64 pixels for
compression vs 16x16 of h.264.

>  also critical will be a YUV->RGB converter plus scaler... and oh
> look! https://opencores.org/project,video_stream_scaler
>
>  if anyone remembers the National Semi Geode LX800 (bought by AMD),
> that, staggeringly, could actually do 720p video displayed on
> 1600x1200 (with a bit of a tear at times), and could easily do
> 1280x720 (without tearing) @ 30fps.... *ENTIRELY IN SOFTWARE*...
> because it had a YUV->RGB converter hard macro that took care of the
> most expensive bit.
>
>  ... and that was a 500mhz 486 with DDR2 RAM!  absolutely incredible.

That sounds impressive indeed.