[Arm-netbook] RK3399

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 22 21:21:22 GMT 2018

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 8:50 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>> ---
>>

>>  it's just not worth it and drives up the price of the second-hand
>> thinkpads, and pisses everyone off who is selling them to libre
>> conscious people as they can't make a business case for even bothering
>> to buy and convert them to libreboot.
>
> So buying a thinkpad and converting it to an ethical device is pissing
> off those who buy thinkpads and convert them to ethical devices?

 yyyup!  the effort by the vera-apparatus team caused a *lot* of
problems when they started buying up used thinkpad laptops to convert
over.  the supply is extremely limited.

> I'm
> not really into retro computers as these people seem to be but from my
> understanding they are very negative to each other as if we don't have
> enough to fight against already.

 that would be one way of looking at it.

 ... or... it could be the case that it is hopelessly unrealistic and
just not worth the time and effort - in fact due to the amount of time
and efffort it takes to do the disassembly and conversion, in
combination with the fact that second-hand machines are firstly
distributed world-wide so must be shipped to one location for
disasseembly and second they're in short supply _anyway_, it could be
viewed as being highly environmentally IRRESPONSIBLE to spend
significant energy resources on converting such products.

 in other words: when you add up the amount of time and effort
proposed to be spent, and convert it to an actual dollar amount, i
estimate that it would come to an amount that would EASILY fund the
development of an entirely new type of computer.

 one that can be designed to be repaired, upgraded, respect software
freedom and not end up in landfill.

 ... .yeh?