[Arm-netbook] Libre RISC-V SoC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 19 18:04:40 GMT 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:06:51 +0000

> 25% of MALI400 is not enough for even mobile games: it is enough for
> spinning windows ala Compiz, but that can also be done with much less.
> So if the goal is something usable, rather than a platform to kickstart
> nyuzi development on, targeting lower perf with lower power usage would
> be better.

 general-purpose software-based rendering engines are not
parrtiicularly good at 3D, luckily jeff's work shows exactly where the
prime focus would be needed.  he did however point out that due to the
sheer quantity of hardware needed to get that optimised
hardware-accelerated "function" it would turn nyuzi into a totally
different engine.

 still thinking about it.

> Now, I don't remember if video decode blocks would be in the RISC parts
> or in nyuzi.

 neither.  opencores has a series of video "blocks" that could go in a
separate engine, DMA-based etc. etc.  these will need tto be added as
well.