[Arm-netbook] pyra computer

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Thu Feb 15 20:17:58 GMT 2018

On 02/15/2018 06:43 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> --- crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware:
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Christopher Havel
> <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the world is not full of stupid people. Two similar but
>> distinct logos should not be a challenge for the general
>> population... even in the USA, where education is somewhat
>> questionable in quality, or in African countries where education
>> is *ahem* borderline extant. You don't have to be able to name
>> e.g. pink and blue in order to know them as different...

True.  The problem (as I understand it) is when you have even
reasonably intelligent people who can't understand the language.  Few
websites are set up to refuse to serve pages to people who don't speak
the language of the site, and cannot, practically or impractically, be
fully reliably so limited.

If EOMA succeeds, this will be a problem in non-English to English
speaker as well as the currently discussed English to non-English speaker
.

>> Someone with an iq below say 75 /might/ have trouble - but someone
>> with an iq that's also a thermostat setting is going to have a
>> tremendous challenge just generally navigating through the world
>> as-is, and we can therefore ignore that use case.
>
> statistically unfortunately the number of 75 IQ outliers increases
> massively with sample size.  if 100 million is not enough to
> satisfy you that we cannot take risks, increase it by an order of
> magnitude to a billion people.

I had been thinking about this, and the problem, unfortunately, is not
even just about the 75 IQ outliers.  There is also the problem of
demonstrably intelligent people who seem to shut off their brains
around computers.  Maybe the infamous question about the "any key" is
the low IQ people, but I'm pretty sure it isn't entirely so, and
there's a whole lot of issues one step up that really do seem to trip
up intelligent people.

> sorry chris.  really, we can't mess about with "options" here.
> it's one option or it's nothing at all.  "any colour as long as
> it's black".

Here is why it's "any colour as long as it's black":  Any logo MUST
work not just in colour, but in black and white, or further, embossed,
or engraved without any colour or lightness information remaining.

So far the only solution I see is to have a second term, *not* EOMA, to
refer to hobbyist hacking projects that are theoretically compatible.
The challenge, AIUI, is that such term *cannot* be used in the official
documentation, and even using it on this list, which is (imperfect name
or not) the official EOMA discussion list, is problematic.

This second term will be generated sooner or later.  It's unfortunate
that the need to keep them separate makes the bootstrap process a lot
harder, but that seems to be the price of keeping EOMA pure enough to
work for non-technical users.  And, frankly, for the technical users
who aren't in the mood to fuss with specifications at any given time.

For that matter, being weary of checking compatibility was a large part
of the reason I bought my computer from Think Penguin.

Tor

- --
Tor Chantara
http://www.fineartmarquetry.com/
808-828-1107
GPG Key: 2BE1 426E 34EA D253 D583 9DE4 B866 0375 134B 48FB
      *Be wary of unsigned emails*
Stop spying: http://www.resetthenet.org/