[Arm-netbook] pyra computer

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Wed Feb 14 14:33:30 GMT 2018

On 2018年02月14日 06:45, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  .... yes.  my understanding is that Trademarks and Cerfitication
> Marks, by being covered *by* Copyright Law, are in effect a sub-branch
> of Copyright.

No, copyright has nothing to do with them. Why do you think copyright
has anything to do with anything you are doing?

Copyright is a legal monopoly on the copying and distribution of a work.
It was originally invented in Britain as a form of censorship, where the
monarch would approve printers to print books in the form of a temporary
monopoly. The current incarnation of copyright exists with the
justification of encouraging the creation of works, e.g. books. It has
nothing whatsoever to do with names or certifications. All that
documentation could be in the public domain and it would make absolutely
no difference. Heck, a lot of corporate logos are in the public domain;
you can't copyright fonts, and logos like that of SONY are nothing but
printed text, meaning they can't be copyrighted.

IANAL, of course.

>  the key thing is that i am *required* to be FRAND (fair, reasonable
> and non-discriminatory).  if the entity known as "ronwirring" were
> just simply told to bugger off, he could perfectly reasonably claim,
> under trademark / certification mark / copyright law (whichever it is)
> that he had been "discriminated against" by me, the (copyright) owner
> of the EOMA68 Certification Mark.
That's an issue with patent licensing, yet another completely different
issue you're lumping together with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing

But let's assume that certification marks don't allow you to
discriminate against people in relation to it. That would be the
granting of certification. Have you threatened to deny certification
arbitrarily? No? Good. No one has to be a member of a random mailing
list to get certification for a product.

Still not a lawyer, still not legal advice, of course.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: