[Arm-netbook] sifive sells a riscv cpu mainboard

ronwirring at Safe-mail.net ronwirring at Safe-mail.net
Mon Feb 5 20:05:03 GMT 2018

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jonathan Neuschäfer<j.neuschaefer at gmx.net>
Apparently from: arm-netbook-bounces at lists.phcomp.co.uk
To: Eco-Conscious Computing <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] sifive sells a riscv cpu mainboard
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 18:49:36 +0100

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 12:39:57PM -0500, ronwirring at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> > Sifive has a mainboard for sale with a running riscv cpu. Many
> > of the devices on the mainboard require non libre software.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/LAA1B5QNbO8?t=1507
>
> What do you mean exactly?

I do not know exactly what I mean. Go to 31.20 in the video
to hear what sifive means.

Can you tell if the mainboard is free software foundation
compliant?
If that is the case, I understood the video wrongly. I got
the impression the mainboard requires non libre software
to run. Software which makes the mainboard not free
software foundation compliant.

At 43.39 in the video they say, they are using an
external non libre software graphics card. If we got
all of the source code for one of the mali gpu's,
could the aforementioned gpu then be used on
a riscv mainboard? Or in general, can you place
a mali gpu on a riscv mainboard?