[Arm-netbook] Huge RAM requirements (was: What do 1, 000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Dec 8 05:36:36 GMT 2018

---

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM David Niklas <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> HOLY COW!
> Luke, there has been no progress on this for ~6 months. I could test 2
> systems of my own and comment on the bug report. It would not be soon,
> probably at least a week, but what's a week if you wait 6 months?
> I have an RK3399 board by firefly and an HP Stream Notebook with
> unupgreadable or replaceable RAM and disk. Perfect candidates for this
> test.
> I would preferably use Gentoo Linux, does it matter?

 not in the slightest.  the more the better

> However, luke, have you, or anyone else, tried to trigger this with llvm's
> gold linker?

 no.

> Yes, that's right, 6GB for 1 gcc process! And I've seen gcc use 7GB!

 gcc is fine as (ok this is what i was told 15 years ago) there's
detection built-in to utilise available resident RAM, dynamically.

> And that's not all, have a bunch of files to back up?
> Dar-2.5.17 (Disk ARchiver)(latest).
> Using bzip2 -9, NOT XZ -9! compression single threaded!
> RSS (part way through!)
> 14.8GB
> I have to talk to the dar devs.
>
> RAM is not cheap, what is this FLOSS world coming to?

 the assumption is, you're on an x86 64-bit system, with 32-64GB of
RAM and a 3200mbytes/sec NVMe SSD, so why should you care?