[Arm-netbook] What do 1,000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Dec 7 13:11:15 GMT 2018

> Just a note, the only way to add the non-free section in Debian
> involves typing the word "non-free" into a particular spot on a text
> file, or if using the GUI interface, to edit the entry for the Debian
> repo to type "non-free" into the "Components" textbox in the "Edit
> Source" dialog box. So it's not really possible to accidentally enable
> the non-free repository. I honestly tend to disagree with the FSF's
> classification of Debian for this reason.

I'm not happy about the Debian<->FSF situation either, but note that if
you want your Emacs install to include all the online doc with which it
should normally be accompanied,  you have to add the
`emacs-common-non-dfsg` package from the `non-free` section.

So, the FSF ends up wanting to encourage Debian users to add the
`non-free` section to access the docs of several important GNU packages.

There's also the fact that the wiki.debian.org includes several places
where they encourage users to install `non-free` packages.

I wish the two associations could take a more pragmatic look at the
situation to resolve these disagreements.

        Stefan