[Arm-netbook] What do 1,000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Fri Dec 7 02:38:43 GMT 2018

On 12/06/2018 01:39 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:58 PM Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Discussion can be had about the FSF criteria, of course, but
>> since Luke is actually seeking such endorsement, the only thing
>> that might be helpful for him is to indicate to him that various
>> FSF concerns are now addressed in the more mainstream
>> distributions, such as there not being random firmware binaries
>> in kernel packages, and so on.
>
> the RYF Criteria are extremely specific: it's not enough to have a
> non-free section that's "disabled", it must be *not possible* for
> an average end-user to *accidentally* end up installing non-free
> software by complete accident such as "running a GUI and
> arbitrarily clicking random buttons".
>
> the absolute worst-case is where an inexperienced end-user,
> running e.g. synaptics, goes "i have no idea what this does, i'm
> just gonna click it" and it happens to enable the "non-free"
> section, happens to silently and happily perform an apt-get update,
> and wow, suddenly there's binary firmware available... all WITHOUT
> warning the user of the consequences.
>
> the "convenience" scripts that download mstruetypefonts.
>
> the "convenience" script that gets the latest adobe flash player.
>
> the broadcom wifi firmware extractor scripts
>
> my feeling is, here, that if aptitude, apt, synaptics and other apt
> front-ends added a simple warning dialog "hello you are adding the
> non-free section, this can have severe consequences as the source
> is not available for review", that would quite likely eliminate one
> of the FSF's major concerns.

Just a note, the only way to add the non-free section in Debian
involves typing the word "non-free" into a particular spot on a text
file, or if using the GUI interface, to edit the entry for the Debian
repo to type "non-free" into the "Components" textbox in the "Edit
Source" dialog box. So it's not really possible to accidentally enable
the non-free repository. I honestly tend to disagree with the FSF's
classification of Debian for this reason.

That being said, it's the FSF's rules, so Parabola is the only real
option regardless of what one might think of the FSF's classification.
And as for 32-bit MIPS... just outta luck, I guess, at least until an
FSF-approved distro starts supporting it.

- --
Julie Marchant
http://onpon4.github.io

Encrypt your emails with GnuPG: