[Arm-netbook] devicetree and testing

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Apr 17 23:17:25 BST 2018

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:12 PM, Richard Wilbur
<richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that people have been working on steps 2 and 4 for years and I had no diminution of their efforts in mind.

 absolutely.

> In my estimation the tasks that can be completed relatively quickly are 1 and 3 as they don't require convincing anyone else of the importance of the goal or merit of the implementation.

 it is slightly more complex (3 that is) because a library and
associated linux kernel device-driver has to also be written that
reads from the I2C EEPROM (to be added to both u-boot and the linux
kernel), in order to use the devicetree fragment merging... overlay!
that's what it's called.

 it is *not* going to be okay to just blop in one devicetree file for
eoma68-a20-with-microdesktop, one devicetree file for
eoma68-rk3288-with-microdesktop, one devicetree file for
eoma68-a20-with-laptop-housing, one devicetree file for
eoma68-rk3288-with-laptop-housing etc. etc.

 preventing that kind of insane O(N * M) devicetree proliferation and
reducing it down to O(N + M)  *IS* the entire point of the EOMA68
initiative.