[Arm-netbook] Standardized Battery Pack Sizes?

Alexander Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Wed Sep 27 15:42:04 BST 2017

On 27/09/17 14:58, Christopher Havel wrote:
> Typing on phone, please excuse top post.
>
> Lithium ion cells are somewhat sedate, but cannot release as much current
> at once as lithium polymer cells can. Lithium iron phosphate cells are
> similarly sedare, but have capacities and discharge abilities more like
> those of lithium polymer cells.
arr didnt know about the quick and high current discharge of li-po vs
li-ion. oh and thx for lifepo vs lipo too. thought lifepo could do high
dischage but didnt know it was simular to lipo. oow i learnt some more
:) thanks

> Lithium polymer cells are the ones on YouTube that catch fire (or worse) at
> slight provocation. They tend to (pick one) melt, catch fire, or explode
> during recharge, if the parameters are at all even slightly off.
>
> Most phones also use lithium polymer cells, though - usually a single
> flatpack in a case. These flatpacks need room to expand, whether in a case
> or "non-removeable" inside the phone. What happened with the infamous
> Galaxy Note 7 was that the designers did not pay attention to this
> requirement. The batteries tried to expand, couldn't, and shorted out
> internally as a result. Boom.

Yea tried to leave/naturally left a little bit of room in my wooden
battery box. hmm guess 1,2or3mm total for front and back and 1cm or so
along one side with foam to pad/fill the gap. hmm didnt do any
calculations for how much space to leave. kinda assumed that i had
enough/ wasn’t trying to make it a tight fit but overall compact. using
the bits of wood i had for a compact, strong box. its a 4S 20AH pack...
http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=80904

you’ve got me reassessing my decisions... hope its ok... got a
temperature alarm with sensor along the side. plus 2x cell voltage
monitors/alarms.