[Arm-netbook] OT: Librem 5?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Sep 27 08:10:56 BST 2017

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>   now, it *just so happens* that someone recently discovered that the
> NSA has clearly had their fingers into intel processors... because
> they requested a DISABLE function of the ME back-door co-processor.
>
>   without such a disable function there would be absolutely no way that
> the NSA could authorise Intel processors for use either on their own
> premises or for any government usage.... because the exact same
> feature they demanded could be used to spy ON THEM.
>
>   fucking ironic.

Quite; does this disable function fully and completely disable all attempts
at using any ME functionality such that nothing can re-enable the ME, or is
this disablement somehow impermanent or more limited in some way?

I ask because I vaguely recall that someone (Purism, perhaps?) had remote
ME accesses disabled but still allowed local accesses. This struck me as
nearly useless because such an arrangement would allow running a program to
relay ME requests and responses over a network connection (an ME proxy,
basically).