[Arm-netbook] Standardized Battery Pack Sizes?

Alexander Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Tue Sep 26 23:56:40 BST 2017

One of the things ive been doing lately is diy battery boxes to power my
gear (sound systems and lights).

I see there’s a lack of cheap standard dimensioned battery packs. theres
only popular proprietary ones. Sony camera/lighting li-ion 2S packs or
drill packs, RC lipo packs but not in a hard case. this all end up being
quite expensive compared to raw li-ion cells + BMS. With gadgets there
seams to also be a problem. handheld computers like prya,zipit,eoma68
laptop[1],gpd pocket,etc use custom lipo cells which are very difficult
to get replacements of because there not common but custom sizes.

[1] luke, the eoma68 laptop li-ion cell is a non typical right? i know
its a ebike battery cell but i assume theres no typical ebike li-ion
cell dimensions?

Why can’t we start cheap standard dimensions battery packs? I guess mass
produced of the shelf is needed but what current company is going to
start that?

We have standard dimensions lithium cell sizes like the classic 18650
but devices want flat slim lipos :/. For large packs they need to be
carefully balanced cells particularly when in parallel. So having mass
produced battery boxes that users replace the cells in when the old
cells die, i guess is not much good due to the unknowns in how much the
cells match each other? Are there other solutions?

Could we have enthusiast packs that are just in series with just 18650s
in series for more Wh? upto hmm 6S? and for larger mah switch to more
expensive 26650? would this be a in our power solution? would just diy
people adapt it? or could products adapt it too?

oww there is AA sized lithium cells too: 14500 maybe they could fit into
designs of our little gadgets instead of flat lipo cells?

if we really need small flat lipo cells, what would it take for a set of
standard dimensions?

What about large say 5Ah-20Ah sized cells and getting standardized
battery packs? for all those large portable speakers or portable solar
pods/battery power supply box products and ebikes,etc. Currently some
use lead acid retro fit lithium packs but with balancing done internally
by the bms, but how acceptingly is that?