[Arm-netbook] Signet (hardware encrypted flash drive idea with gpl3 license)

Alexander Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Thu Sep 21 16:48:52 BST 2017

talking of crypto usb sticks, theres a new one crowdfunding:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/nth-dimension/signet

the dev has been helpful/responsive to my questions too.

the bootloader thing is non-free but that is only used in the factory
and for updates it uses its own upgrade software in the firmware.

"There is no proprietary software whatsoever. The only technical
exception would be the factory bootloader used to initially flash the
device. After initial firmware loading the firmware can be updated live
through firmware update in the GPLv3 source base.
"

"The factory bootloader is still there but can only be activated by
jumpering two to the microcontorller's pins together and rebooting. The
signet firmware features an "updgrade firmware" command which is
completely free software and does not use the factory bootloader. The
best way to describe it is that I have superseded propritatry bootloader
but I have not physically destroyed it. I hope that clarifies it. "

just a encrypted database. no pgp cypto done on the device. but maybe
possible as stretch goal or something.
idea for just passwords and storing other keys and bits.

RNG is a mix of:
"When random data is needed it is gathered from three different sources
in equal amounts, the host, the hardware RNG on the micro-controller,
and clock noise measured between the RTC and processor clocks which have
separate oscillators. Once the code has all the three noise values they
are XOR'ed together. I think the hardware RNG does have trust issues but
by using these sources together even if it has some engineered
weaknesses I believe will get a higher quality random data by including it."

had kinda forgotten about nitrokey, arr wondering what to do.... already
made a pledge for signet... nitrokey is about same~ price but looks like
it does more....

read some technical people reviews of nitrokey err left me feeling
unsure about it... :/