[Arm-netbook] hardware encrypted flash drive idea with gpl3 license

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Sep 21 11:16:26 BST 2017

zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> writes:

> also, hardware encryption is far stronger than software encryption.

Faster (potentially), maybe less open to side-channel attacks (if
properly designed), but I see no reason that the same algorithm
implemented in silicon would be any "stronger" than if it were in
software.

Most of the time, what you're calling hardware is liable to just be
software running on a different processor, perhaps in a box that has
been glued shut such that it's less convenient for bugs to be found,
fixed and patched.

Cheers, Phil.