[Arm-netbook] python coding help needed (sin, cosine, blah blah)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Sep 10 01:12:07 BST 2017

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM,  <doark at mail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I've not been able to finish this. I've tried luke, but my
> laptop's battery just went totally bad, my desktop's HD filled up all the
> way and my family has been in need of my help.

 hey sounds like you have your hands full

> I just don't have the time
> to do this either, and with the hurricane coming (to Florida), I'm not
> certain what's going to become of me or this house (yes, I'm staying
> with my family). We will probably loose power and water at the least.

 _really_ full :)

> In case you've not heard it's a CAT 5! AND there is another one behind it!

 just been in a typhoon here in taiwan couple months back, i have to
say it was utterly cool, 14 storey apartment, we're on the 13th floor
and the thing was SWAYING about a foot, for an hour.  i was very
disappointed that the only damage done was a few tree plants blown
over, bits of corrugated iron pin-wheeling down the street, but not
even a flicker on the power-grid or the water supply.

 mind you, this place is set up for year-on-year typhoons.  i found it
strange (and quotes backwards quotes) as to why you see all these
motor cycles running about the place with 2 or 3 1 metre long propane
gas cylinders strapped to the back: it's because it's too dangerous to
have gas main lines running underground.  so everyone cooks with
camping gas style kitchen stoves and the hot water heater runs off
another one, and you'll never get people being blown up because a
tornado ripped up a gas main.

> I've done several of the calculations by hand and I understand how to do
> it, just not with a computer nor with your program, plus I don't have the
> python bindings for openscand

 there aren't any.  pyopenscad is an independent program that
*outputs* scad (as a text file).

> so you program still will not work (yes I
> set python's path correctly).
> I've created a simple gif that illustrates the steps that the computer
> must take. This should help you to not have to take shots in the
> dark when trying to figure this out.

 :)

> 1. Create a polygon.
> 2. Separate the polygon into squares or right triangles.
> 3. Enlarge based on sizes of pulleys.
> 4. Measure angles of side and use this to calculate the angles of your
> pulleys.

 i can manage that with enough guess-work :)

 thanks david.