[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:01:46 BST 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Richard Wilbur
> <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I have a question about one of the traces:  In the layout picture it appears that something resembling a via coincides with HTX1P following the second wiggle after the trace turns NE.  If it is a via, what is it doing there?  If not, what is it?
>
>  you've lost me, sorry. i don't know if you have access to an image
> editor but an arrow pointing would help - i know you're using an
> iphone so that might be a leetle awwkward...

Borrowing my wife's laptop I used the bundled Paint program to scratch
some marks on the image from your wiggles progress message.  What I'm
referring to has been in the layout pictures for a while longer than
the image I used to note it and I was curious but had bigger fish to
fry.

>> Of course, hopefully you never have need of soldering or desoldering the μHDMI connector by hand.  Looks best left to the oven.
[...]
>  this is why we'll be doing a test run of some low-cost 2-layer PCBs
> (1in x 1in) just with the DC3 land pattern and some test jumpers,
> which will go through the oven to make sure that the DC3 actually sits
> down and all pins connect to their pads.
>
>  lot less risky than $USD 2,000 for complete PCBs only to find that
> after 5-8 weeks yet another footprint layout doesn't work.....

Good plan.