[Arm-netbook] Top Priority Software Tasks

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Nov 28 19:03:50 GMT 2017

---

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:11 AM, Adam Van Ymeren <adam at vany.ca> wrote:
>> Hey Luke,
>
>> I've started looking at http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/source_code/ for inspiration.
>>
>> But I'd like to know which tasks are a priority for you to deliver the current crowd supply pledges.
>

> I think finding out what that bug that prevents us from using a modern
> version of linux is a high priority too.

 the list of peripherals and features supported is right there on the
linux mainline sunxi page.  when it's at 100% full and complete
support for *all* hardware features (VPU, 2D engine etc. included),
and the available libraries (libcedrus through libvdpau,
xserver-xorg-fb-turbo and more) have *all* been updated to support
that linux mainline kernel version, then and *only* then is it okay to
*consider* abandoning the many months of (tested, proven) work done
over the past few years and to *consider* releasing updated OSes to go
on top of them.

 remember: with the sunxi 3.4.104 kernel *xserver fb turbo works*.
libcedrus *works*.  acceleration of video decoding and display *works*
in firefox and chrome (although i didn't test the accelerated display
bit because it requires OpenGL and i refuse to install the proprietary
OpenGL MALI library).

 by converting over right now to the linux mainline kernel *all those
accelerated functions are cut off*, plus even some critical
peripherals are cut off, as well.