[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 Router Ethernet Speed

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Fri May 19 17:54:25 BST 2017

Hi Luke,

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 03:55:18PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Erik Auerswald
> <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> > on http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/router/news/, the text and
> > picture feature Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Just one sentence mentions
> > 10/100 Ethernet in passing.
> >
> > IMHO that is misleading. AFAIU the QCA9531 provides Fast Ethernet only,
> > *NOT* Gigabit Ethernet. Thus please change any occurrences of GBE/GbE/Gbe
> > or similar with FE, perhaps excluding the very first sentence.
> >
> > While Fast Ethernet is good enough for most uses, it is not Gigabit
> > Ethernet. Please correct the web page.
>
>  erik: it's an editable web page, being a wiki, so you can do that
> yourself.  to stop spam i've had to set a password for creating
> accounts, and it's "passwordreqd".
>
> so whilst i'm delighted that you've highlighted some errors, the
> wording you're using "please correct the page" is not appropriate to
> use for a libre community project.   the words you _meant_ to use are,
> "how can this page be changed" or "would someone like to *consider*
> changing the page" or "can i invite you to *consider* changing the
> page".

Please excuse my insensitivity (or not, as you like, I do not intend to
make you feel obligated to do anything). No offense intended.

> basically anything which gives the expactation that someone *will* act
> on your behalf to action your wishes, when you're part of the
> community by being here and i've provided you with the right - and the
> trust - to action your wishes without immediate oversight or direct
> permission being required.
>
> so. do you want to try editing the page yourself, or does anyone else
> want to action erik's valuable contribution?

I have changed the text to use Fast Ethernet instead of the incorrect Gbe.

I have not changed the image.

Would you like to consider changing what is probably text in some CAD
program to read "FE" instead of "GBE", re-export the schematic as an
image and upload the more correct version? I expect that to look much
better than me trying to change the image with an image editor.

IMHO promoting a better specification than intended to deliver is
dangerous for the project's reputation.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Design your product to please the users.
                        -- Paul Graham