[Arm-netbook] beowulf clustering EOMA68

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri May 19 05:30:37 BST 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 5:08 AM, Neil Jansen <njansen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:29 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
>>  size, power budget.  in about 5-8 years it won't be an issue.
>> EOMA200 is better suited to clustering.  bigger PCB size and a much
>> higher power budget.
>
> I'm not really concerned about size.  What do you mean by power budget?

 5W per card in the current standard, with an "option" to increase
that to 10W *if the housing supports it*.  that means having
sufficient thermal cooling/

> What's to stop me or anyone else from buying, say, 8x EOMA68's and
> networking them?

 nothing.

>  (gigabit or otherwise)?

 no ethernet.  USB3 *if the Card supports it*... which the A20 doesn't.

>  Assuming that a backplane is the
> only thing in the way, that could happen pretty easily.  The only other
> thing missing at that point would be availability of the 1st gen cards, but
> that should get better in time, I'd think.  Cost wise it's still less than
> an Intel NUC, if you're not counting the cost of the backplane.

 you can't get a 1000 pin 15W *processor* nor can you get 128-bit-wide
DDR3 memory bus bandwidth into an EOMA68 case.  ok the latter you
might be able to do if you used 4x 32-bit-wide LPDDR3 RAM ICs but the
entire 5W power budget would be blown on running the RAM even at only
around 1066mhz.