[Arm-netbook] 3D printing requirements

Vincent ml.eoma68 at eml.cc
Fri May 19 00:42:34 BST 2017

Hi Luke,

I saw your recent update on crowdsupply. Could you please list the
specific requirements you need for 3d printing? Otherwise it will be
difficult to help you out.

Ideally, you can provide us with the following data:
- maximum print dimension in width X length (e.g., 200x200mm)
- minimum wall thickness (e.g., 1mm)
- smallest detail (e.g., 0.3mm)

Also, having a single component of the casework as a sample print could
be helpful (meaning: if this prints OK, we would expect that all the
other components are of equal quality).

I value your quality-first approach and do not want to settle for less.

We have a couple of decent 3dprinting suppliers in Germany which I did
use in the past (though, for tiny objects only). I could offer to get
quotes from them and/or do some negotiating. Also, check their quality
based on the sample component to print (which I could also send to you).

Another approach could be to distribute the load: There are many
hacker/maker spaces around the world. Many of them do have 3d printers
and offer printing at much cheaper rates. I do have good friends at a
maker space with an Ultimaker 2+ and most of the time the printer is
idle. Since they are a registered voluntary association, they are always
interested in receiving minor donations in return for services.

I could ask them to print a couple of cases?

Another idea:
How about buying 10 Ultimaker+ and selling them via crowdsupply as part
of the EOMA68 campaign (with a reasonable deduction, due to the reason
being used)?

You did address PLA a couple of times. How about the resin option? Any
specifics? How many people ordered it?

Cheers,
Vincent