[Arm-netbook] Side-Topic: Liberating PocketCHIP

John Luke Gibson eaterjolly at gmail.com
Sat May 13 06:13:39 BST 2017

On 5/12/17, Louis Pearson <desttinghimgame at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if you know about this or not, but there is a community
> wiki at http://www.chip-community.org/index.php/Main_Page
> It has examples on using buildroot to flash images to chip
> http://www.chip-community.org/index.php/Flashing_Buildroot_Image_from_Ubuntu
>
> Again, I'm clueless :P I have just received some chip pro's and I am
> trying to make myself a neat little MP3 player with bluetooth audio
> support. Found the wiki up there through some searching. This is my
> first foray into working with embedded linux devices as well.

I knew about the wiki, then again I believe someone else was asking
about one earlier.
I'm still wrapping my head around these make scripts to make sure
nothing proprietary is hidden anywhere they don't theoretically need
to be.

Probably a good idea to use mainline libre-linux, but first want to
make a diff file comparing their fork with libre to make sure their
aren't any drivers which are libre that we might need (or any
bug-fixes). Unfortunately their aren't any overtly libre forks of
u-boot, however I don't know that their are necessarily any blobs in
mainline u-boot or ntc's fork. I looked into libreboot and their
support of arm is hazzy at best (one chromebook that it looks like two
people ported it over to completely on their own).

Best bet is to use libre-linux mainline and besides that just attempt
to deblob ntc's components by hand, which shouldn't be a problem long
term cause it doesn't look like they maintain any of this stuff at all
anyway and it's very likely the only blobs are in the kernel anyway
however not a sure one.