[Arm-netbook] Totally derailed topic

Bill Kontos vkontogpls at gmail.com
Wed May 10 19:23:05 BST 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net
> wrote:

>  now that i think about it, i believe i heard of something about 20
> years ago called the humanist society (or something like that).
> apparently they live their lives according to a really quite [humane]
> wonderful "code"... just without the bits about "god" attached.
>
>  so i'd say definitively yes, you can... it's just that you'd have to
> choose to do so, and that can be really tough, to research, assess and
> then make the decision to adhere to a particular code.  it means
> making changes in your life which might cost you friends, your job
> (because the company asks you to do something that is against your
> newly-chosen "code")...

Exactly this. I always prefer to do something by choice. Being manipulated
is the one thing that I hate the most in life. But this takes time, and I
have come to a very similar conclusion to this society you are talking
about, that following 95% of the Christian ethics is a good idea because it
makes for the most benefit for the society as a total. But I find having to
believe that god exists and he will punish me for not following these
ethics in order to be able follow them utterly pointless.