[Arm-netbook] Side-Topic: Liberating PocketCHIP

Jeffrey Sites jsites at openmailbox.org
Wed May 10 15:23:24 BST 2017

---
jasites

> On May 10, 2017, at 07:02, Pablo <pablo at parobalth.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 05:06:17PM -0700, Jeffrey Sites wrote:
>>

>>> On May 9, 2017, at 16:00, John Luke Gibson <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now I'm looking at CHIP-buildroot.
>>> I'm planning on patching out any blobs and also anything not CHIP
>>> related (as we don't want a person to accidentally think the script
>>> will give them a blobless cubieboard or anything).
>>>

>> Would it make sense to just add a target for C.H.I.P. to libreCMC in this case?
>>
>> I had been planning on doing that for a while but haven't had the time.
>>
> libreCMC seems an odd choice to me because C.H.I.P. does not have an
> ethernet port. I think libreCMC for a C.H.I.P. will have a small
> userbase. Do you have a special use case in mind?

For using libreCMC as a base/framework for a lightweight embedded distribution without systemd, Linux-Libre kernel, uclib, and omitting router centric packages, using a ath9k_htc or USB->Ethernet dongle makes perfect sense for a small physical footprint for a server providing services like DHCP, HTTPS, or similar.

Since there is already support for other sunxi devices, and NTC uses buildroot as their Debian alternative, it seemed worthwhile to me. Obviously depends on use case or intended purpose.