[Arm-netbook] I saw your recent update, Luke

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue May 9 14:34:22 BST 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 02:10:25PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> it's quite simple: this is a list where topics are discussed in-depth.
> top-posting that breaks the context makes it REALLY hard for people to
> follow a complex or comprehensive discussion.  making other people
> work harder at understanding and following isn't on.
>
> if however there is like a throw-away comment (more a personal
> discussion or just a quip / joke) then i'm happy to tolerate
> top-posting.
>
> generally i think people get it right, but if anyone feels that
> someone's made their lives awkward by breaking the context, PLEASE say
> so immediately.

I normally in-line post, because that seems to be the most effective way
to communicate in a complex situation, but I've found one exception:
When the new text is not really a reply, but a framing comment intended
to alter the context in which a previous messgae should be read.

This is remarkably rare.

-- hendrik