[Arm-netbook] I saw your recent update, Luke

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 9 14:10:25 BST 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM, zap <zapper at openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Just a thought but I believe top posting annoys Luke.

 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting

"Some believe that "top-posting" is appropriate for interpersonal
e-mail, but inline posting should always be applied to threaded
discussions such as newsgroups."

blerk.  ridiculous to be so pedantically politically correct.

@begin sing-song voice
"some people believe"
@end sing-song voice

it's quite simple: this is a list where topics are discussed in-depth.
top-posting that breaks the context makes it REALLY hard for people to
follow a complex or comprehensive discussion.  making other people
work harder at understanding and following isn't on.

if however there is like a throw-away comment (more a personal
discussion or just a quip / joke) then i'm happy to tolerate
top-posting.

generally i think people get it right, but if anyone feels that
someone's made their lives awkward by breaking the context, PLEASE say
so immediately.