[Arm-netbook] eoma68 router (qca9531)

Lars Kruse lists at sumpfralle.de
Tue May 9 12:22:16 BST 2017

Hi Jan,

Am Tue, 9 May 2017 12:22:04 +0200
schrieb dumblob <dumblob at gmail.com>:

> [..]
> In case the router will have just 100Mbit interfaces, then it doesn't
> make any sense to make such a router (nobody would be interested in it
> as it wouldn't add any value to the current routers as these are quite
> often very capable, with firmware being open-source and targetting the
> same price segment as the EOMA68 router).

This depends on your use case.
I am part of a wireless community in northern Germany. The vast majority of our
routers are Ubiquiti NS M5 or TP-Link CPE510 devices (outdoor wireless devices)
with one or two 100 MBit/s ethernet ports.
This was never a concern for our users, since the VPN that most of our members
use, requires loads of CPU power. Thus more than 10 MBit/s are rarely seen.
We were always looking for devices with a faster CPU, but these do not seem to
exist within the price range of approximately 100 Euros.

This is probably a quite a specific use case. Indoor users may well have a real
need for gigabit router ports - I cannot tell.

Cheers,
Lars