[Arm-netbook] libre 64-bit risc-v SoC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu May 4 11:51:00 BST 2017

---

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Pen-Yuan Hsing <penyuanhsing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't clear. I was just wondering if the rhombus-tech page can be a
> "landing page" that I can forward people to. But if you think riscv.org is
> fine I can do that, too! That said, riscv.org probably doesn't emphasise the
> libre nature of it, does it?

 permissive licenses being what they are.... no, true, it doesn't.
libre is a very specific meaning, and the goal is to create a *libre*
SoC.

 ha, bit of irony for you: gaisler research released the LEON3 SPARCv8
core a number of years ago under the GPLv2, so that people could use
it for "academic and research purposes", the expectation being that
for "commercial" use, they would seek a license from gaisler because
you can't mix GPLv2 source with proprietary hard macro source.

 the irony / beauty is: by seeking out *specifically* hard macros even
for DDR3 that are compatible with the GPL, no proprietary license is
needed :)

 so... the source code which implements SMP cache coherency for a
multi-core LEON3... i can pull that out and use it :)