[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Mar 31 12:52:23 BST 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Normand Chamberland <gemnoc at gmail.com> wrote:

>> if you do not have a savannah or other libre hosting service please
>> send me an ssh public key and i will set you up with a gitolite
>> repository.
>

> No, right now I'm too fucking pissed off by your zealotry to do anything
> resembling that and I might very well stop my contributions right there.

 sorry normand, that clearly wasn't the intent - it's never
"zealotry": "zeal" implies some sort of irrational (completely
illogical) fervour based on some sort of "faith" and/or pleasure in
asking people to do something that they clearly don't like.  look into
the eyes of anyone under the spell of "zeal" and you will find someone
that's clearly possessed and/or completely insane.

 i don't _enjoy_ asking people not to use proprietary services, and i
really should have asked last week: i was simply too exhausted (and
also packing up the 10 suitcases for the move from zhuhai back to
taiwan) to send the message at the time you said "i don't have a
public online web service / hosting arrangement".

 i'm so sorry you felt like you were wasting your time - i do need
your help (and that of others)... but if i am forced to choose between
compromising on integrity and ethical principles that i am trying to
advocate to large businesses... i can't do it, can i?  it completely
defeats the purpose of the exercise.  the way this project starts out
and scales up, if it scales up and includes the use of proprietary
services, that's how it ends up staying and it's going to be
impossible to stop.

 there are plenty of companies that have compromised and taken us -
all of us in the software libre community - for granted.  openssl,
gpg, the gentoo lead developer who ended up with $USD 45,000 of
credit-card debt and had to take a paid job with microsoft - countless
more examples where corporations are take, take, take and we just...
let them.

 somebody has to put their foot down if nobody else is going to.  i
don't _enjoy_ or get any kind of "zealous kick" out of being virutally
totally isolated and ostracised from everyone else in the software
libre world, normand.  it's not fun, but it's better than giving up on
what's now getting on for six _years_ of hard work.

 those pictures looked really good, too.