[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Fri Mar 31 02:36:31 BST 2017

On 30/03/17 12:00, Mark Van den Borre wrote:
> Hi Tor, hi list,

> <Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com <mailto:Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com>>:
>
>     I haven't put my dial caliper on enough pieces of similar plywood to make
>     a statement about normal variation due to manufacturing tolerances.
>
> I have. The 3mm birch plywood we use usually stays within +-0.1mm. Only
> rarely up to +-0.15mm.
>
> Some extra stabilisation can also be designed into the z dimension by
> doing things like inserting (laser cut) plywood "grip beaks" along the z
> axis.
>
> Another laser cutting technique that may come in handy is the "accordeon
> curve" or "kerf bend".

This could be used in conjunction with a dado in the top and bottom
pieces and rabbeting the sides.  This would keep the unmarked top and
bottom (with optional venting laser fretwork logos, etc.), and still
allow the sides to be held.  This would require flipping the sides to
laser the kerfs for the bends, and alignment of PCB mounting dadoes (on
the second laser operation) might be tricky at best.

The other option would be to dado the top/bottom for the full thickness
of the sides and let the top/bottom extend past the sides.

If a pair of internal pieces are used for mounting the PCB/card, then
you're up to eight pieces, but still less than the 11 I recall being
mentioned, and probably at better material efficiency.

Tor

--
Tor Chantara
http://www.fineartmarquetry.com/