[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Thu Mar 30 22:04:08 BST 2017

On 30/03/17 10:47, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Tor, the Marqueteur
>> Thickness is where we lose all plywood moisture stability with the
>> stacked option.  8 layers, 3mm thick = ~24mm thick, or a little less than
>> 1".  As I posted earlier, between someone living in a desert, and someone
>> living in a wet tropical area, the latter may have a case almost 1/16" or
>> 1.5mm thicker than the desert person.
>
>  hmmm.... damnit.  the screws will quickly trash the plywood if that's
> the case.  that tells me it's going to have to be a 3d printed plywood
> hybrid.  top bottom left right front back sides slotted into a curved
> corner arrangement, minimising the amount of 3d printing as much
> aspossible.  arse. let me think about it.  ideas anyone

Well, it's not quite that bad for individual cases.  Provided someone
doesn't tighten the screws hard in dry conditions, they should be OK.
The place you have to watch is how it affects mounting tolerances.

When designing the case, not only do you have to watch the actual
thickness, but should figure possible movement tolerances in.  Making it
in a reasonably neutral humidity environment, that says from top to
bottom you should figure +/- .75mm.

I haven't put my dial caliper on enough pieces of similar plywood to make
a statement about normal variation due to manufacturing tolerances.

Tor

--
Tor Chantara
http://www.fineartmarquetry.com/