[Arm-netbook] Logos

John Luke Gibson eaterjolly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 01:37:36 GMT 2017

On 3/18/17, Mike Leimon <leimon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I feel like I should take a swing or two at this as well.
>
> In the following two cases, there isn't any special font being used. I'm
> just using inkscape to trace out the characters that I want show...
>
> http://imgur.com/GrnfRHe
>
> Of these two logos that I sent, my preference is for the second.
>
> My personal opinion is that you shouldn't try and get too hung up about the
> acronym that you are trying to capture and represent... (I say this even
> though I did my best to incorporate the letters... blah). I think sometimes
> that capturing the concept is more important than capturing the acronym.
>
> Case in point, take a look at the USB logo:
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cId-qdXRcqg/UXE0Nya6FAI/AAAAAAAAAPU/8KGiICpEQa0/s1600/Logo+USB.JPG
>
> The logo is incredibly simple and doesn't try and spell out USB.. however,
> it does capture the essence of the interface and what it seeks to
> accomplish and I think that is what makes it memorable.
>
> That is really all I wanted to drop by and say.
> -Mike

The problem with that is that we aren't just talking about one
standard, but in the end we are talking about multiple very similar
standards, so it would probably be more confusing not to incorporate
textual reference that easily can be searched as a keyword to find out
what the symbol means. The numbers and letters probably have to be
incorporated, as inelegant as it may sound.