[Arm-netbook] Logos

Mike Leimon leimon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 22:14:11 GMT 2017

> The first one has something that looks suspiciously like a penis on the
> bottom-right.
>
> I'm sure it doesn't look like that if you're an electrical engineer, or
> whatever, but people -- especially kids and teenagers -- *will* see
> that, and that's probably not the kind of attention EOMA needs. :)

My apologies for the unintended phallic imagery... That wasn't what I was
aiming for. I was actually just trying to use some different EE symbols to
reconstruct the `M` and the `A` of EOMA. I was using the list of symbols
from the following reference.

http://rapidtables.com/electric/electrical_symbols.htm

I think the offending symbol you are referring to is the `OR` symbol.

Just to better explain what I was aiming at, I took some colors to the
original
symbols to highlight the individual letter representations.

http://i.imgur.com/jjUbFx5.png

In the color coded (first) version the E is in red, O is in blue, M is in
green and A is in pink.

> By the way, I think these are the best logos I've seen on this list. The
> only gripe I have (well, other than the unintentional phallus in the
> first one) is that they don't really seem to represent modularity; the
> first one, in particular, rather looks like a circuit board, and one of
> the major points of EOMA is that users *don't* have to look at circuit
> boards to perform upgrades; they just have to pop out a card and replace
> it with another card. It seems like there must be some possible way to
> use this basic logo concept to represent that somehow.

In both of the logos that sent out the `E` was actually supposed to
represent an
EOMA CPU/passthrough card. That is why it looks like a squatty elongated E.
represented the O in the way that I did as I wanted it to represent the
PCMCIA slot or
housing that it fits into. So together the E and the O represent a modular
CPU card
being inserted into a device/housing. For the first logo I was intending to
show that
the specification provides an incredibly low level connection between the
CPU card
and the housing.

For the second logo... I was thinking that I liked some of the ideas and
imagery of the
first but that it was way too busy. Plus and end user might get a bit
bewildered by it.

Oh and I have one more general comment about logo creation of this sort...
I think that
it is very important to make sure it will look good rendered in only black
and white because,
that is essentially what it is going to look like when the
logo/certification mark gets
silk-screened onto a product.

-Mike