[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Mar 8 01:20:50 GMT 2017

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:39:46 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> ok, so, apologies for not responding for 2 days: the latest cold, which
> is back again a fourth time in as many weeks, is leaving me exhausted.
> again.
>
> tzafrir: i've mentioned this a number of times, and am happy to mention
> it again, as you appear to have missed it.  the key difference is
> massive scope-creep.  look at how the NSA developed libselinux1 and
> associated infrastructure.  they got a university involved to develop
> the FLASK model.  they set out a design strategy, they set out what they
> were going to do, then they did it.  whilst almost everything else that
> the NSA does may be questionable, steven smalley is clearly a smart guy
> and knows what he's doing.
>
> by contrast the development of systemd has become a critical
> single-point of failure for a massive number of distros, where its
> developers are clearly and pathologically not taking responsibility for
> the consequences of their *technically-driven* decisions, and are
> continuing to develop their software without wider consultation.
>
> so, i read what everyone wrote: i think the simplest thing to do is to
> just go with the image that i have been working with and testing over
> the past two years.  it's using xfce4 (gnome is too heavy).  i know it
> works, and i simply don't have the time - or importantly the energy - to
> create a new image, *especially* based on people's comments and
> reactions that they'd be deeply unhappy with it not being a "stock
> image", even if all i did was make it boot sysvinit instead by default.
> those comments *alone* immediately terminate all and any possibility
> that i can provide debian/jessie in a 100% ethical way.

Do the same you did with Debian, only use Devuan aand the Devuan
installer.  It will likely just work, and you won;t need to expunge
systemd.

Sell it as a Devuan system.

You can still make a stock Debian available if your customers demand it.
But by providing Devuan you won't be pushing systemd on those that don't
want it.  Your conscience can be somewhat clearer.

> on receipt of the cards, anybody who wants to will be free and entirely
> at liberty to do "apt-get dist-upgrade"

That's one of the ways of installing Devuan for those that don;t want to
set up fro scratch.  Start with a running Debian system, Jessie or the
one before that.  Replace the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list by lines
referring to Devuan's repository.  DO an update, then a dist-upgrade.

-- hendrik