[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Mar 7 22:53:49 GMT 2017

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 11:27:55 -0500, Benson Mitchell wrote:

> As you say, different people will make different choices, but for me
> swap-on-SD is clearly worth it, so if/when an out-of-memory condition
> _does_ occur, I get a chance to choose which processes live and die, and
> to make sure any important work is saved properly. I don't wholly
> distrust the kernel OOM killer's heuristics, but heuristics are never
> perfect, and the cost in flash usage seems very reasonable to me.

My experience when I end up swapping to a hard drive is that the whole
system becomes so slow and unresponsive that it mosstsly ignores console
input, and I have no ability to kill things before the OOM does.  Often
the best way to get things moving again is a hard reset.  And then
watching it repair the filesystems.

-- hendrik