[Arm-netbook] I apologize for not knowing this sooner,

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jun 25 00:36:05 BST 2017

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:20 AM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

> but I just learned what you have been trying to tell me for a while,
> with regard to how the amount of ram I have been asking for: 8gb isn't
> even needed.

ah so you've not run 25 xterms, wicd-gtk, chromium with 20 tabs open,
firefox with 200+, openscad, qemu _and_ vlc all simultaneously then :)
 that takes up 13 out of 16gb

no that's a developer mindset.  for ordinary average person usage,
libreoffice, one web browser maybe 3-5 tabs if that, and vlc: yes 8gb
is total overkill.

one problem is that linux tends to use unused memory for cacheing.  i
have a vague recollection of it being used for file cacheing.